Sunday 9 April 2017

To Texture or Not to Texture
by Debbie Fogle

I have been employed as an office clerk for over thirty three years, and at the age of fifty four I would’ve never believed I would be faced with the possibility of learning a new trade, or even a new hobby. You take it with stride that you will do your best at learning.
I became an apprentice to learn more about home repairs and remodeling. I will admit this: I could barely hang a picture on the wall. Now, I will not lie and state I have been doing this for years. I have learned it’s not how long you have been doing your work, it’s the pride you put into your work. I give a salute to the electricians and plumbers for doing work I don’t understand.
My personal thoughts, as I was learning to install drywall. I apologize for not indicating the correct names of the tools. This as I said, was my first job.
The first day of my apprenticeship
            Scared, no knowledge of the tools that are displayed before me.
The tools
These tools are more frightening than tools used in an emergency room, but each tool has a purpose and each tool is useful.
The measured and cut drywall
Lesson learned: measure twice, cut once.
This should be engraved on all measuring tapes, and cutting tools.
The mixing of the joint compound
            Using the correct tools are the key points in consistency of the compound mix.
The covered screw heads
            Simple, but a very important step.
The taped corners
            Taping corners can test one’s nerves on perfection. 
The first coat
The first coating hid the tape, the screw heads,
And the small imperfections that I accidently administered to the drywall.
The first sanding
Once again, the correct tools for this process can save so much time, and air flow. Reminder to self: always wear the protective masks, and gloves.
The second coat
I learned this step was easier that the first step, but still realizing I wasn’t finished yet was discouraging.
 The second sanding
Now, when accidents happened, I laughed.
What else could I do?
 I am learning this stuff as I go.
The final coat
            The revelation after the final coat is applied brings a feeling of accomplishment.
The final sanding
            Okay, I’m just saying this: sanding is sanding…
Wear the protective gear.
 The construction site clean up
            Clean up was easy.
I’m one of those neat freaks anyway.
Every tool has its place in the tool box.
Walls wiped down, windows cleaned, doors wiped down, plastic removed from floor area, and new plastic laid down for painting process.
Every speck of dust and dried joint compound is cleaned up.
Primer and painting was the hard part.
The finished project is the place I rest my weary head, and write my stories down.

The removal of joint compound from places on my body that should never have been exposed to joint compound was the humorous task.

No comments:

Post a Comment