Monday 10 January 2022

Lough Erne –

Water holds memories

            by Margaret Kiernan

Inside the green light of summer
I lie beside your fishing bag
Hug my solar plexus blues

Watch ants crawl along a spool,
I feel them crawl inside me too
Squirming gut gets me a tear, it falls

I smell those green sedged rushes, they move
Concentrical in water, as waves wash over
While dragonflies’ flit

Your boots in mud squelch beneath the poplar trees
I hear a farmer mowing his grass
moments of calm, ease

I lie in leaves
I wait it out
Watch seeds float above the waterline

I wait
I lie in the
last summer of our unease
the lake-water dreams on
As we part.


* * * * *

Margaret Kiernan is a Nominee for Best of The Net Award, 2021, for creative non-fiction.
She writes poetry and prose and is published in both. In Journals, magazines, periodicals and
on-line. Also, a good many international anthology collections and, print books. She is in The Index of Contemporary Women Poets in Ireland. Margaret loves to paint. In several mediums and has exhibited her artwork.

1 comment: