Monday 8 May 2023

Separation at Fifty-Five

by Sara Epstein


Late afternoon drive down Mass. Ave.
John Hancock Tower shimmers bright orange
as bright as the leaves and pumpkins.
I loved seeing Sandra Bullock
in Gravity, faced with her earthly losses
in outer space, deciding to live anyway.
My fall leaves me bare
as November trees
with small red berries.
I walk a slow block with my mother
who reminds me how the British
wear scarves this time of year.


* * * * *

"Separation at Fifty-Five" is part of Sara Epstein's first poetry collection Bar of Rest (Kelsay Books, 2023).

In addition to writing poetry and songs, Sara Epstein, PhD is a clinical psychologist who integrates mindfulness practices, including writing, in her psychotherapy work with children and adults.  She also facilitates and teaches generative writing groups and classes.

Sara Epstein’s poems have appeared or are forthcoming in Poetry Quarterly, Amethyst Review, Chest Journal, Nixes Mate Review, Plainsongs, museum of americana, among others.  

Bar of Rest, Sara Epstein’s first book of poetry, has just been released by Kelsay Books.  See Sara’s website at 
saraepsteinwriter.com
.

No comments:

Post a Comment