Saturday 18 February 2023

 

The Wolves at the Door

by Jane Muschenetz


when the doorbell rings, I think like a mother thinks, in little steps
pounding to the entryway, My Heart,
inside my body (which is inside the bathtub) ready to leap…

she is neither city-folk nor country-wise,
my Zoom-blooded girl, my nightly tucked away treasure—

will she remember to not blindly open
the door, like the little goats in the story who outsmarted the wolf? or
will I need to rise, slick and streaming through the house
grab her to safety, like all good mothers, coiled to spring
even the ones taking a quiet bath on the last day of their menstrual cycle and
especially the ones who follow the news cycle?

will she remember to pretend, like I taught her to,
that no one is home? or at least, to ask who it is at the door
and come back to me (even though I just told her
Mama is not to be disturbed unless it’s an emergency)?

when the doorbell rings, I think like a Jewish (Black/Asian/Native Am./etc…) mother thinks
of all those things
I have not yet taught her


* * * * *

Ukrainian-born, Russian-speaking Jew, Jane Muschenetz came to the US as a child refugee from the USSR. Her first chapbook, All the Bad Girls Wear Russian Accents, is forthcoming in 2023 (Kelsay Books). Connect with Jane at www.PalmFrondZoo.com, and in various publications.


No comments:

Post a Comment