Saturday 14 May 2022

Lighthouse 

by Elaine Sorrentino

 
On the other side 
of the bathroom door 
my mother whimpers 
 
forgetting I exist
the moment 

the latch catches, 
 
God, help me 
I don't know what to do 
I don't know what to do 
 
she prays.  Outside, 
I touch the wood lovingly
resting my head
 
 
wondering 
how can I be her lighthouse 
when I am underwater myself. 

 
* * * * *

Elaine Sorrentino, Communications Director at South Shore Conservatory in Hingham, MA, has been published in Minerva RisingWillawaw Journal, Glass: A Journal of Poetry, Ekphrastic Review, Writing in a Women’s Voice, Global Poemic, ONE ART: a journal of poetry, The Door is a Jar, Agape ReviewHaiku Universe, Sparks of CalliopeMuddy River Poetry ReviewLibrary Love Letter, and at wildamorris.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment