Friday 15 June 2018


Poet Laureate of the Laundromat

by Rie Sheridan Rose


Poetry full of iridescent imagery
awes my mind.
Words that sing an unknowable cadence
but speak volumes.
Intricate tapestries woven of words
creating miraculous visions...
But they are not my poems.
My poems speak fairy tales,
or slyly offer sarcasm to
prick a pompous bubble.
My poems offer philosophy,
but cracker barrel, not heavenly.
My poems weep remembered tears,
or share forgotten songs.
My poems tell of laundromats,
not Luxembourg.
The pictures they paint
aren't by the numbers,
but they aren't Degas either.
More Norman Rockwell than
Andy Warhol...
I leave surrealism to
those that speak in riddles.
I am a meat and potatoes girl,
uneasy in the banquet hall.
But my poetry is my own,
and to me, it shines like diamonds.
I am poet laureate of the laundromat.


* * * * *

"Poet Laureate of the Laundromat" first appeared in Writer's Café and is part of Rie Sheridan Rose's chapbook Take Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment