Monday 5 June 2023

A TUMULTUOUS LOVER

by Emily Black


Late afternoon sunlight casts sparkles
on lapping waters of Newnan’s Lake
as they roll toward shore amidst thick
wedge-shaped trunks of tall cypress trees
that stand in shallows of this vast lake
close to my Florida home.

From lake and woods, birds sweetly call
and bestow peace on this setting. Small,
rhythmic waves of tannic-colored water
sing a song I remember from my youth.
A blue heron, classic in stature, so still
he doesn’t seem real, stands patiently

in shallow water to wait for his evening meal.
There are many alligators that live in this lake,
but none are to be seen as the sun declines
toward a watery horizon. Perhaps they know
a hurricane is soon to make landfall and its path
may pass through here.

Maybe they’ve already filled their bellies
and retreated to their reedy flats and mud
burrows for safety, just like the local folks
have gassed-up their cars and hastened to stores
to shop for candles, batteries, ice, bread, milk
and gallon bottles of water.

I still see Mother Nature as my goddess
and accept that her moods are changeable.
No placid lover is she, but her glory, my
deepest love, always surrounds me though
sometimes it is tumultuous, a love that tosses
me around and reminds me I am mortal.


* * * * *

Emily Black, the second woman to graduate in Civil Engineering from the University of Florida, enjoyed a long engineering career. She began writing poetry recently and is published in numerous journals. Her first poetry book, The Lemon Light of Morning, was published by Bambaz press in 2022. Her second book is scheduled for publication in 2023. Emily wears Fire Engine Red Lipstick.

No comments:

Post a Comment