Thursday 9 March 2023

The Best of Things

by Gemma White


We had tried to make the best of things
but you could still hear the mountains
and the trees calling your name.

Before you moved out a baby ringtail possum
appeared and you dangled your arm
out the window to feed it pieces of banana.

Tonight, I am restless, so I go out and remember
how you told me about you 20 years ago
praying on the oval like I do now.

There is not a star to wish upon up there
in the great darkness and all the dogs are going home
now with their owners through the streets.


* * * * *

Gemma White is a poet from Melbourne, Australia. She has released two books of poetry with Interactive Publications - Furniture is Disappearing and Oh My Rapture. Contact her for purchase details or for a chat about poetry at www.gemmawhite.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment