Tuesday 1 November 2022

Lipsticks and old 45s

by Emalisa Rose


I count nests now. On my
morningtime walk, round
the pond’s semi-circle.

I used to count dollars, lost
boyfriends, gray hairs, old
45s and the lipsticks I’d buy
in pursuit of the perfect pink
shade.

But it’s nests, now.  On these 
lighter days Autumn, as leaves
fall with words on my fingertips.

Baring the branches, where I can
find what the trees had been hiding
between March and November.


* * * * *

When not writing poetry, Emalisa Rose enjoys crafting and birding. She volunteers in animal rescue and tends to cat colonies in the area. Her work has appeared in Mad Swirl, Knot Magazine, Red Wolf Journal, Writing in a Woman's Voice and other wonderful places. Her latest collection is This waterpaint life, published by Origami Poems Project.

1 comment:

  1. Bravo to Ms. Rose. She so anchors me with the 45s and pink lipsticks, then expands the reach of the poem with the nests and trees. Excellent piece.

    ReplyDelete