Monday 29 August 2022

Poem at 3AM

by Laurie Kuntz


I know I will pay
tomorrow at noon
When I will be expected
to know the world
and its brightness.

It is then, when the day is tipsy
I will yearn to sleep,
but now when out my window,
and door and rooms,
people I love are tangled
in dreams, I am up and moving
in this star strained darkness.
 
Playing with grace and sorrow
bold in a bright starry dress the night’s
silence is a siren’s song
keeping me awake and typing.

I know I will pay tomorrow,
when my body aches and my mind wanders,
but sometimes words in their vestige of truth
come when the world is asleep,
and within their invincible power,
I feel nakedly alive,
awakened in first love.


* * * * *


Laurie Kuntz is a widely published and an award winning poet. She’s  been nominated for a Pushcart and Best of the Net prize. She’s  published two poetry collections (The Moon Over My Mother’s House, Finishing Line Press, Somewhere in the Telling, Mellen Press),  and two chapbooks (Simple Gestures, Texas Review, Women at the Onsen, Blue Light Press).  Her new chapbook, Talking Me off the Roof, is forthcoming from Kelsay Press in 2022. Recently retired, she lives in an endless summer state of mind. Visit her at: https://lauriekuntz.myportfolio.com
 › home-1



2 comments:

  1. I had one of those nights a few nights ago…you describe it so well, Laurie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is it...the beauty of the amrit vela! The poem captures this precious time so well.

    ReplyDelete