Saturday 23 July 2022

CHILDREN OF THE RAIN             

by Emily Black


Daybreak arrives to the patter of soft rain
on our shingled roof. A hollow sound
of water running in copper downspouts

makes a symphony of comfort, a symphony
of remembrance. I begin to feel immortal as I
ponder on memories that feel eternal―as though

they always existed, long before the beginning of
time. Rain is my mother; she’s always nurtured me.
She will still sing to me in my grave, lay her love

over me, at least when she does not choose to vent
her torrential feelings, but that is only natural and
we children of the rain often do a lot to provoke her.


* * * * *

Emily Black was the second woman to graduate from the University of Florida in Civil Engineering, then engaged in a long engineering career as the only woman in a sea of men. Lately, she’s been writing poetry, has been published in numerous literary journals, and was a recipient of the 79th Moon Prize awarded by Writing In A Woman’s Voice in 2021. Her first book of poetry, The Lemon Light of Morning, published by Bambaz Press, was released in February 2022 and is available on Amazon. Emily wears Fire Engine Red lipstick.


1 comment:

  1. I look forward to more poetry from Emily!

    ReplyDelete