Friday 22 July 2022

UNDER THE INFLUENCE
     OF RICHARD GARCIA

by Emily Black

  
I don’t remember exactly what it was,
but it was like slanted rain.

I tried to talk about it but no one
was interested, so I talked

to myself. Maybe that was when
it all started―talking to myself

like my mind was slanted,
my mouth too, I guess.

Nothing came out straight, nothing
made sense, but it sounded

pretty, like a new language, a language
of winged words, words that flew,

words that soared, words
that everyone understood.


* * * * *

Emily Black was the second woman to graduate from the University of Florida in Civil Engineering, then engaged in a long engineering career as the only woman in a sea of men. Lately, she’s been writing poetry, has been published in numerous literary journals, and was a recipient of the 79th Moon Prize awarded by Writing In A Woman’s Voice in 2021. Her first book of poetry, The Lemon Light of Morning, published by Bambaz Press, was released in February 2022 and is available on Amazon. Emily wears Fire Engine Red lipstick.



No comments:

Post a Comment