Wednesday 21 November 2018


Cold Bluster

by Oonah V Joslin


with wintry determination

I begin cold to the marrow jelly
a gust of words meaningless on the white
screen blustering. But I don't have snow shoes
nor a protective skin, so I give in
easily in the face of all this in
different face-book frenzy
like - cool
oh wow!
what next?
look what I did
and you are so so so superlatively

nothing. As if I didn't know that. As
if my blood was warm as yours as if my
mind was shallow enough to wallow in
fake friendship and faker praise.

But one of these days I'll rise up
raise a storm to keep myself warm. I'll fill
a page. I will! I'll show you. I'll blow you

away

with wintry determination.


* * * * *

Oonah V Joslin is poetry editor at The Linnet’s Wings. She has won prizes for both poetry and micro-fiction. Her book Three Pounds of Cells ISBN: 13: 978-1535486491 is available online from Linnet’s Wings Press and you can see and hear Oonah read in this National Trust video. The first part of her novella A Genie in a Jam is serialised at Bewildering Stories, along with a large body of her work (see Bibliography). You can follow Oonah on Facebook or at Parallel Oonahverse https://oovj.wordpress.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment