Thursday 30 June 2022

nine months

by Roseanne Freed


nine months since you left us, in my grief
I surrender to junk food and an evening
glass of wine with chips.

                                    such excitement to watch you grow
                                    inside me, to feel you moving about
                                    first as little flutters like a mouse, 

I know the wine is a crutch,
but it’s just one glass and I need it.
Like I need coffee in the morning.

                                    later when a hand or foot 
                                    punched out my belly,
                                    Pa and I shared tears of happy,

I’m thankful for the corona virus fashion
of pants with elastic waists to hide
the pandemic pounds on my bum and belly.

                                    I played classical music
                                    to my welcome guest, ate healthy, 
                                    did yoga, swam twice a week at the Y,

You also loved swimming.
My daily swims in our pool
helps my sad.

                                    I discovered unconditional love
                                    at your birth, and such nachas
                                    as you grew fat from my breast.                    

Your spouse gave me your favorite sweater.
Wearing it doesn’t comfort me—
it just reminds me how wrong this is.


* * * * *

Poet Roseanne Freed was born in South Africa and now lives in Los Angeles. She loves hiking and shares her fascination for the natural world by leading school children on hikes in the Santa Monica Mountains. Her poetry has been published in Contrary Magazine, Verse-Virtual, ONE ART and Blue Heron Review.

9 comments:

  1. Very picturesque and simply expressed. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roseanne Freed30 June 2022 at 13:15

      Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment

      Delete
  2. So powerful and moving. A dance of forces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roseanne Freed30 June 2022 at 13:16

      Thank you for being in the moment with me Edith.

      Delete
  3. People say there are no words for the loss of a child, a grown child, a child you carried inside you. Yet you have put it into words…and taken us with you with such tender, heartbreaking details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roseanne Freed30 June 2022 at 13:18

      In my poetry I share my deepest secrets with the world. Thank you so much for reading this poem with such depth of feeling and understanding.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for having the courage to put your grief into words although, I like you, know that there are no words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roseanne Freed30 June 2022 at 19:48

    I replied to this. Dont know what happened to it!

    Thank you for writing to support a poet like myself who tries to find the words when there are none.

    ReplyDelete