Saturday 23 July 2016

During a radio interview yesterday I was reminded of this scenario: February 2000. Girl Power Day in Denver. I taught swing in a high school venue to a group of 40 or 50 girls--might have been more. I don't remember. We had the time of our lives--jiving, gyrating, high spirits. At some point an electrician came in, a man, just innocently doing his job, fixing something on the ceiling. The energy changed radically. Self-consciousness? A wish to impress? I don't know. I really don't. All I know is that it happened. After he left, the energy we had before never returned--not for lack of trying to revive the spirit from before. Things were just a bit flatter. I was reminded, too, of the late philosopher/theologian Mary Daly refusing to teach men in her classes--privately yes, but not in her classes. She was even sued over this as I recall. Did she feel a similar energy change? What will have to happen so the entrance of a man into a woman's energy field--or into the energy field of a group of women--does not change the energy irrevocably?

No comments:

Post a Comment