Tuesday 6 November 2018


It’s My Body

by Lynn White


It’s my body to imagine,
to construct and shape,
in or out of fashion.
Or so I like to think.

But others 
have different 
imaginings, 
different visions, 
different versions 
of me and my body.
I have to consider these,
to determine my own reality,
have to decide how to engage 
these multiple images
and their projections
to reveal myself to myself,
if I can see them, that is.
For sometimes they are invisible,
as sometimes I am,
existing only in imaginations.

But, it is still my body,
to decide whose versions 
it engages with,
who it entertains.
And who enters
into this conversation.


* * * * *

"It's My Body" was first published in BLYNKT (Issue 3 2017)

Lynn White lives in north Wales. Her work is influenced by issues of social justice and events, places and people she has known or imagined. She is especially interested in exploring the boundaries of dream, fantasy and reality. Her poem 'A Rose For Gaza' was shortlisted for the Theatre Cloud 'War Poetry for Today' competition. This and many other poems, have been widely published in anthologies and journals such as Vagabond Press, Apogee, Firewords, Indie Soleil, Light Journal and Snapdragon.

No comments:

Post a Comment