Friday 20 May 2016

The endless challenge of feeling good enough (or not, as the case may be).

I've had two models: My father, who was quite taken with himself and confident, but declared in sermon and song that he was humble and no more than a wilted flower before God. My mother, who was not so taken with herself and frequently asked "what have I done wrong?" even when she had done nothing wrong.

I think many of us live on the gender fault line of masculine confidence (even when it is named "humility") and feminine insecurity about ever being good enough, ever doing everything just right at long last. Wish it weren't so. Wish I could believe at my core that I am good enough.

Here's a cameo poem on the topic Mad Swirl posted last fall:

enough

I live
therefore
I am
                                               
good enough.  


No comments:

Post a Comment